Ever the innovative organization, MTC officials pivoted quickly to record a performance to be streamed on demand, both rewarding those who had already purchased tickets to the live performances and providing an opportunity for those hadn’t yet done so see the play and continue to comply with the order. Those streams are available anytime between April 1-12 for anyone who buys a ticket before April 11. GO HERE FOR MORE INFO & TO BUY TIX.
Love fits perfectly into MTC’s ongoing quest to tell stories “that feel more of the moment and feel more urgent in terms of their storytelling,” as MTC Artistic Director Jasson Minadakis recently told the Marin Independent Journal. Written by Cortesi, a current Huntington Playwriting Fellow and recent Playwrights Horizons Commission awardee, Love tells the story of Penelope, who is approached about joining a group of women making harassment allegations against her former boss. The request puts her in an uncomfortable crossroads—the man accused was a former lover and remains a dear friend. As the women’s stories unfold, Penelope questions what happened to her, what she enabled, and her very identity. Love examines what accountability looks like when an abuser of power is one of our favorite men, and poses a radical question: Can we place love at the center of these reckonings?
“I wrote this play because there is a conversation around sex and power that I believe people want to have that we’re not having, not in public anyway,” Cortesi says. “Do we want dark truth to come to light? Yes. Do we want justice for abuses? Yes. Do we want to acknowledge and correct the exploits of patriarchy? Absolutely. AND we also want to delve into the relationships where this reckoning is complicated, murky, and colored by, among other things, love. I believe love belongs at the center of these reckonings, right next to justice and truth.”
Here are answers to some FAQ’s from MTC about the streaming video of Love:
- Current ticket holders will NOT have to purchase a Virtual Ticket to get streaming access. All ticket holders will be contacted starting April 1st with instructions on how to stream the video. If you’re a current ticket holder – sit tight!
- When you click or tap the link below to purchase, you will see April 11th assigned as the “date”. You can ignore that – this is NOT the only day you can watch the video. But we are encouraging you to get your tix ASAP so you don’t miss the window to stream–this content will only be available through 4/12 @ 11:59 PM.
- If you purchase a Virtual Ticket for someone who will be streaming from another location, please reach out to our Box Office team directly (contact info below) to provide us with their name and email, so they can receive instructions on how to access the video directly.
- If you plan to stream the video with more than one person, please purchase more than one ticket! We’re operating on the honor system here, and we appreciate you supporting this effort by purchasing a Virtual Ticket for everyone in your watch party.
- Supporting us by booking your ticket today through April 11 ensures we’ll be able to keep operations running when we re-open at the end of this difficult time. We sincerely appreciate your support and can’t wait to see you back at MTC soon!
The 411: Marin Theatre Company‘s recorded stream of the production of Love is available anytime between April 1-12 for anyone who buys a ticket before April 11. GO HERE FOR MORE INFO & TO BUY TIX.
Want to know what’s happening around town? Click here to subscribe to the Enjoy Mill Valley Blog by Email!