Redwood Credit Union, which opened a full-service branch in the Alto Plaza Shopping Center in late 2016, is celebrating 70 years in business in 2020. The credit union, which was originally formed by seven County of Sonoma employees as an affordable means to make bridge loans to fellow employees between paychecks, has grown to offer full service personal and business banking, as well as financial services beyond banking such as financial planning, insurance, and even an auto sales center.

Founded in 1950 as Sonoma County Employees Credit Union, that entity merged  in 1982 with Santa Rosa Public Employees Credit Union and rebranded as Redwood Credit Union to reflect its growing presence in the Redwood Empire. In 1997, RCU expanded its field of membership to serve anyone living or working in the five North Bay counties of Sonoma, Marin, Mendocino, Lake, and Napa. And in 2000, RCU received approval to serve residents and businesses in the three additional counties of San Francisco, Solano, and Contra Costa.

RCU now has 19 locations throughout the North Bay and San Francisco, and is the 43rd largest credit union in the U.S. and 8th largest in California.

“Though we’ve grown and added many services and locations over the past 70 years, helping people has always been at the heart of what we do,” said Brett Martinez, RCU President & CEO. “We’re thankful for our 353,000 members, and through their loyalty and participation—as well as the dedication of our 700 employees—we have a solid foundation to continue providing affordable financial services and support to our communities for many more decades to come.”

The 411: Redwood Credit Union Is located at 695 East Blithedale Ave. in the Alto Plaza shopping center that contains Whole Foods Market. MORE INFO.

Want to know what’s happening around town? Click here to subscribe to the Enjoy Mill Valley Blog by Email!

%d bloggers like this: