The Mill Valley Historical Society‘s 39th Annual “Walk Into History,” co-hosted by the Outdoor Art Club, dives into Sunnyside Avenue and its periphery, a part of town that the walk’s guidebook says was “once populated by local merchants, teachers, ferry and railroad workers, blue collar workers and professionals, transplants from the 1906 SF earthquake and fire, and outdoor enthusiasts. Today’s smooth roads and tidy neighborhoods have replaced the open fields and muddy, rutted streets once so common to this area. However, love of home and community continue to be a unifying theme for all people living in MillValley from its earliest days to now.”
The 411: Tours leave from the Outdoor Art Club, 1 West Blithedale Ave., every 15 minutes between 9:30am and 4pm on Sunday, May 22. Tickets are $15 for Historical Society members, $20 for non-members, $10 for teens with a student ID and free for children under 10. More info and tix.
Here are a few Then & Now photo comparisons of some of the buildings on the 39th
Annual “Walk Into History”:
The buildings currently containing the Mill Valley Market deli used to be home to Meet the Quinn’s bar and The White Mill restaurant. Photo courtesy MV Historical Society.
The building is now home to Mill Valley Flowers and the deli, hot bar and alcohol wing of Mill Valley Market. Photo by Jim Welte.
Gary Scheuenstuhl, David Sinnkonen, and Village Music owner John Goddard outside the store, circa 1984. Photo by Suki Hill.
The former Village Music space is now occupied by Milvali Salon and Spot Pet Care. Photo by Jim Welte.
The original U.S. Post Office being built at 55 Sunnyside Ave. in 1940. Photo courtesy MV Historical Society.
The current home of Kantola Productions at 55 Sunnyside Avenue.