They were all honored in 2018 for their contributions to literary arts, visual arts and performing arts (film, theater and dance), as well as contributions to the artistic community. In doing so, they joined one of Mill Valley’s most revered clubs, one that has played a vital role in sustaining the vibrant arts in our town.
The 13-member Milley Awards Board of Directors is now seeking nominations for its 2019 edition. The Milley Awards honor those living artists and artist-teachers who were born in Mill Valley, California, or went to school here, or work here, or have made their home here, and who have enriched our lives.
Selection of Mill Valley Creative Achievement Award recipients is based upon one or more of these criteria:
- Outstanding achievement in creating, performing or teaching in the arts.
- Demonstration of a significant body of work.
- Service to the arts community.
Recipients are drawn from the listed awards categories below. Formal presentation of up to five Milley Awards are made at our yearly gala event. All award recipients are acknowledged by the Arts Commission and the Mayor of Mill Valley. An appropriate permanent record of all recipients is kept in the History Room of the Mill Valley Library.
Here are the categories:
- Performing & Film Arts
- Literary Arts
- Musical Arts
- Visual Arts & Design
- Contributions to the Creative Life of the Mill Valley Community: Individuals whose vision, initiative and leadership played a major role in establishing and nurturing Mill Valley’s cultural treasures.
- Sali Lieberman Award honors lifetime achievements of individuals who embody Sali Lieberman‘s inspiration, courage and determination. (Non-annual award.)
- Vera Schultz Award honors achievements of organizations which embody Vera Schultz‘s activism, leadership, courage and vision. (Non-annual award.)
GO HERE to fill out a nomination firm. Nominations should also include:
- Nominator’s personal statement of support
- Maximum of ten pages of supporting materials, such as vitae, testimonials, reviews, articles, press clippings or photographs. Ask your candidate for assistance with these materials.
- Slides, CDs, albums, books and other 3 dimensional examples of a candidate’s work
Past recipients’ nomination packets are available in the History Room of the Mill Valley Public Library to give you an idea of what should be included. All nomination materials for the 2019 Milleys must arrive at Mill Valley City Hall by 5 PM on April 25. You may drop off or mail materials to 26 Corte Madera Avenue, Mill Valley, CA 94941. For more information or assistance in developing your nomination, call 415-721-1906 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Judging by a panel of representatives from the community takes place in June, with winners announced in July. The annual Milleys Dinner will be held on Sunday, October 20 at the Mill Valley Community Center. Over the previous 23 years, the Milley Awards have recognized the creative achievements of more than 140 individuals and organizations.
The 411: The Milley Awards honor locals for their contributions to literary arts, visual arts and performing arts (film, theater and dance), as well as contributions to the artistic community. MORE INFO.
Want to know what’s happening around town? Click here to subscribe to the Enjoy Mill Valley Blog by Email!